Women portrayed on coins, the empresses, queens and divas on the historical coins of ancient Greece and Rome
The ancient times were populated with many royal rulers. Many people do not even look at the power behind the throne was actually, many times, a woman. Some of the ones that capture the imagination being Queen Cleoptra VII of Egypt, lover to both Julius Caesar and Mark Antony and mother to their children. Without the role of women in history, we are missing fifty percent of the historical context or more. Many of the coins these women issued are still available for our collecting pleasure. The goal of this guide is to give you a list of just some of the women portrayed on coins of the ancient times. You can click on the name of each of the women on this list and easily search my eBay coin store to see her ancient coins available for sale and learn more about each. You may want to also visit the ancient Roman coin collecting guide which has a chronological list of the emperors and empresses of the Roman empire.
- Cleopatra, anything related to her name, there being several Cleopatras in history, one of them being the lover of Julius Caesar and Mark Antony
- Livia Drusilla wife of Augustus
- Agrippina Jr., wife of Claudius, mother of Nero
- Poppaea, wife of Nero – Roman Emperor: 54-68 A.D.
- Domitia, wife of Domitian
- Faustina I Roman Empress and wife of Antoninus Pius
- Faustina II Roman Empress Marcus Aurelius wife and mother of Commodus
- Lucilla, Roman empress, wife of Lucius Verus
- Crispina, wife of emperor Commodus
- Julia Domna Roman Empress 193-217 A.D.
- Plautilla, Empress wife of emperor Caracalla
- Julia Soaemias – Roman Empress Mother of Elagabalus, Roman Emperor 218-222 A.D.
- Julia Paula – Roman Empress & First wife of Emperor Elagabalus
- Julia Maesa – Grandmother of Roman Emperors Elagbalus & Severus Alexander
- Julia Mamaea Roman Empress Severus Alexander mother
- Tranquillina, Roman Empress wife of Gordian III
- Herennia Etruscilla Roman Empress wife of Trajan Decius
- Salonina – Roman Empress Wife of Gallienus
- Severina, wife of Aurelian – Roman Emperor 270-275 A.D
- Galeria Valeria Roman Empress wife of Galerius 308-311 A.D.
- Saint Helena Roman Empress Mother of Constantine the Great
- Fausta, Roman empress wife of Constantine I the Great
- Aelia Flacilla Roman Empress Theodosius I Wife 379-385 A.D.
- Eudoxia – Roman Empress wife of Arcadius
- Sophia, wife of Justin II – Byzantine Emperor: 565-578 A.D.
- Eudocia, wife of Constantine X – Byzantine Emperor 1059-1067 A.D.
Article by Ilya Zlobin, world-renowned expert numismatist, enthusiast, author and dealer in authentic ancient Greek, ancient Roman, ancient Byzantine coins and beyond.
Post Source Here: Women in the Empires & Kingdoms – The Royal Ladies on Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
An interesting video pertaining to collecting old coins. World-renowned numismatic expert posted this to educate people.
from Trusted Ancient Coins – Feed https://www.trustedancientcoins.com/women-on-greek-roman-coins/amp/